This beef stew recipe is one of my favorites to make in the crock pot!! Although it looks like a long list of ingredients, it is another recipe that is quick to throw together, makes the whole house smell delicious, and is a flavorful and hearty meal.
Also, to let you know, I LOVE onions. Growing up, my mom would start almost every meal with an onion. My husband, sadly, cannot stand the sight, smell, or taste of an onion, even if it is blended into a recipe. Therefore, most of my meals will not include onions. (He did not eat my French Onion dip from earlier this week).
At first, I was devastated by not cooking with onions!! But I’ve tried it out and made this beef stew recipe without an onion and it still turns out amazing!!!! Feel free to try the recipe below as is or add an onion in if you would like. But I can definitely vouch that with all the spices and flavors blended together, it is still really good without an onion!
- About 2 pounds beef stew meat – this meat already comes cut into cubes by your grocery store butcher
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) of beef broth
- 3 large peeled and diced potatoes (I cut up into bite sized pieces)
- 8 peeled and sliced carrots (I slice them the way you would slice carrots up to put on a vegetable tray)
- 1 stalk of chopped celery (I peel off the stringy outer part a bit and then chop finely)
- Mix the flour, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Toss the meat into the flour/salt/pepper mixture and coat the meat completely.
- Set the meat into the crock pot along with all of the excess flour/salt/pepper mixture.
- Add in the minced garlic, bay leaf, paprika, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
- Pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir and mix all ingredients together.
- Don’t worry if it looks like there is not a lot of liquid; the meat will cook down and produce more broth.
- Cover with the crock pot lid and cook on on Low for 7 hours. If you need to speed up cooking time, you can also cook on high for 3.5 hours. If you are around, you can stir a few times while it is cooking.