A great game day appetizer doesn’t mean that you have to scour your local grocery store every Sunday morning for various ingredients. All you have to do is think about what ingredients you already have in your kitchen and think of how they can go together.
As I looked through my fridge I found half a block of extra sharp cheddar cheese (I had already eaten the other half with crackers earlier in the week). Since puff pastries come in sets of two, and I had already used one sheet for the Baked Brie in a Puff Pastry recipe last week, I still had one sheet of that left. And then I also came across some frozen spinach in the freezer. Put all those ingredients together and you get Spinach & Cheddar Puff Pastry Swirls!!
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup of extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- All purpose flour
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach
- De-thaw your puff pastry sheet (about 20 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Grate your cheese until you have about a cup of grated cheese.
- Sprinkle your garlic powder into your cheese and mix; set this aside.
- Follow the microwave directions on your frozen spinach. Be sure to drain completely and squeeze out any excess water. Pull apart your spinach so it is no longer tightly packed.
- Unfold your puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface.
- Beat your egg with one tablespoon of water.
- Generously brush the puff pastry with your egg.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture
- Brush the side that is facing up of the puff pastry generously with the egg.
- Sprinkle your cheese directly onto the puff pastry.
- Next, sprinkle your spinach on top of the cheese.
- Starting with one side of the pastry, roll tightly, as you would roll a jelly roll.
- Secure the puff pastry (I brushed a little more egg to seal the end together).
- Begin slicing about half inch pieces of the rolled pastry. (Mine came out to be about 16 pieces).
- Spray a baking sheet with a non-stick cooking spray and the place your swirls onto the sheet.
- Brush each piece with the egg again.
- Bake for about 15 minutes (the pastry will turn golden brown).
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and then immediately remove the pastries from the sheet and place on a wire cooling rack. Let cool for about 10 minutes and then serve.