So the Eagles did NOT do well today. Despite the fact that we would not have wanted to be at the game in person anyway, my husband and I decided to try making our own soft pretzels, just like the ones that you would get at the game!! For the first time making soft pretzels, they turned out pretty good!!
Recipe: Homemade Soft Pretzels
(This recipe will yield 4 pretzels)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 4 cups hot water
- Kosher salt (for topping)
- In a small bowl, dissolve your 1 1/4 teaspoons yeast and 1/4 teaspoon sugar in 1/3 cup warm water. Let stand for about 10 minutes, until it becomes creamy-looking.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour in your oil and yeast/sugar/water mixture.
- Knead your dough for about 8 minutes, until it is smooth (If the mixture is dry, add in a tablespoon or two of water).
- Coat another bowl with oil, place all of the dough inside, and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough sit for about an hour and it will begin to rise.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a pot on the stove, dissolve your baking soda into about 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Divide your ball of dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a long, thin rope and twist into a pretzel shape.
- Place each pretzel into the boiling water/baking soda on the stove for about a minute and then remove.
- Next, place the pretzels on a baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with Kosher salt.
- Place pretzels in the oven for about 8-10 minutes, until the pretzels begin to turn a golden brown.