I have to hurry up and type this out…I’ve been told the Eagles Game starts at 1:00 and my husband needs the computer for Fantasy Football!!!!! Anyway, I’ve been on a sandwich kick lately with my Game Day recipes. One of my recent recipes was for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches and this week I’m doing Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches! I think the appeal of a sandwich is that its uncomplicated. Just a couple ingredients, some rolls, and you are good to go!
Since my Roast Beef Sandwiches turned out so good in the crock pot, I decided to stick with the crock pot theme and pull out one of my slow-cooker cookbooks for some advice. The recipe I found was great, and also came with a delicious little carrot/celery slaw to top off the sandwich!
Recipe: Shredded Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bottle of wing sauce (approximately 14 ounces or so) – I chose mild, but you can choose whatever you like!
- Kaiser Rolls
- Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on the stove over medium/high heat.
- Add your chicken to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Next, transfer the chicken over to your crock pot/ slow cooker.
- Save about 2 tablespoons of wing sauce for to make your slaw later if you like. Pour the rest of the bottle into the crock pot/ slow cooker over the chicken.
- Place the lid on your crock pot/ slow cooker and cook on low for about 3 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken and shred in a bowl with two forks.
- Once chicken is completely shredded, take about 1 cup of the wing sauce/liquid from the crock pot and pour onto your shredded chicken. Mix well.
You can eat your sandwiches on kaiser rolls now if you like. My husband liked it this way with just the buffalo chicken and the rolls. OR you can continue and mix up a little carrot/celery slaw to add on top of your sandwich like I did!!
- 3/4 cup sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 3/4 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons wing sauce
- Mix your 2 tablespoons wing sauce with 1/3 cup of ranch dressing.
- Thinly slice your 2 celery stalks. This should add up to about 3/4 cup.
- Toss your carrots and celery into the ranch/wing sauce mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add a bit of your slaw to the top of your buffalo chicken sandwich!
This slaw adds a bit of crunch to your sandwich AND gives it a little more punch of flavor! Delicious!
Recipe Adapted From: Slow Cooker Quick Fixes Cookbook, from the editors of Southern Living
ONE year ago: Restaurant Review: Coyote Crossing in Conshohocken, PA