If you don’t know how to cook acorn squash, this step by step recipe will explain how easy it is to cook this inexpensive and delicious fall vegetable. Acorn squash is a great staple for Thanksgiving, but also compliments any meal as an easy side dish.
- 1 Acorn Squash
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Fill a 13" x 9" pan with 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water (the pan should have about a 1/2 inch of water in it)
- Cut your acorn squash in half and scoop out the center part containing all the seeds. Discard the seeds into the trash.
- Place each half of the squash face down into the pan of water.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes, until squash if soft. (To test if it is cooked thoroughly, insert a fork into the squash. If it goes in and comes out easily, it is ready for the next step.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Using the same pan with the water, flip your acorn squash over so the center part is facing upwards.
- Cut and put 1 tablespoon of butter into the center of each squash.
- Next, scoop 1 tablespoon of brown sugar into the center of each squash.
- Put the pan back into the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Scoop the acorn squash out of its skin with a spoon. Put the squash into a bowl and mash with a fork.
This recipe serves about 2 people. To serve additional people, you can cook additional squash. Follow the same recipe and just cook additional!