Growing up in a large family, whenever my mom put dinner on the table, it was enough to feed an army. I’m the oldest of five, so there was all of us, plus my parents, plus usually a friend or two at the dinner table every night. My mom always wanted to make sure there was enough for everybody (and enough for leftovers the next day so she could take a day off from cooking).
Needless to say, I never learned how to cook small. I overestimate everything and it is almost foreign to me to make “just enough.” Now that I’m married and it’s just me and my husband, cooking small has been a huge challenge! Yes, it’s nice once in a while to have a little bit of leftovers to take to work for lunch the next day, but I definitely don’t want to be eating the same thing four days in a row!!
So today, I decided to challenge myself to make a pasta salad for two, not twenty! Here’s my recipe for my little pasta salad!
- 2 cups tri-color Rotini Pasta
- 1 cup Italian Dressing
- 1 carrot (peeled and sliced)
- A few pieces of broccoli (cut up into smaller pieces)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add in your pasta.
- Boil for about 15 minutes until the pasta is tender.
- Drain your pasta and run cold water over the noodles so it can cool off.
- Pour your pasta into a mixing bowl. Add in your carrots, broccoli, and Italian dressing and mix well.
- Chill in the refrigerator and give it a couple stirs before serving.