This easy and classic old fashioned peanut butter cookies recipe has just 7 ingredients and takes only 10 minutes to bake in the oven before they are ready to eat!
Making Peanut Butter Cookies
I love to eat cookies any time of year. Growing up, these peanut butter cookies were definitely in the Christmas Cookie category for our family, I will eat them any time of year. Recently, I decided to go hunting in my recipe box for these old fashioned peanut butter cookies. My mom gave me the recipe, which my grandma had passed to her, hence the “old fashioned.” My favorite recipes are the ones that get passed down. The recipes have stood the test of time and each generation continues to pass them down. **Insert teary eyes here as I realize I am now passing these along to my daughters**
I’ve also been looking for fun things to keep the kids busy. I have found that our 5-year-old loves taking charge in the kitchen! And our 3-year-old likes eating up all the crumbs that we drop! Baking cookies has become not only a fun bonding time, but also a good way to start teaching some basic kitchen skills. And of course, while waiting for the cookies to bake and cool, it teaches patience.
The best part for me (besides eating them when they were done) was seeing how proud my daughters were when I let them smoosh some of the dough balls all by themselves with the fork. Those ones didn’t turn out with the perfect “criss-cross” pattern that is classic to these old fashioned peanut butter cookies, but that didn’t matter. The girls made them on their own and they were beautiful.
Baking these cookies with my girls brought back memories of growing up. My mom always let us help out in the kitchen. Flour always spilled everywhere, but that flour made memories, and those memories made happy kids!
Other Peanut Butter Recipes:
I’ve got a whole collection of delicious cookie recipes here on Food Marriage, but if you are looking specifically for more peanut butter dessert recipes, here are some of my favorites!
- Peanut Butter Middles
- Brownie Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Chips
- Peanut Butter Temptations
- Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe:
- 1 cup Lard (example: Crisco)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Mix together the lard, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well-mixed.
- Add in the eggs and beat until mixed.
- Next, add in your peanut butter and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your flour and baking soda.
- Slowly add in the flour/baking soda mixture into your other ingredients while beating slowly, until everything is combined.
- Roll dough into small balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Flatten your dough balls with a fork in a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake for about 10-11 minutes or until they appear a light-brown color.
- Remove from cookie sheet and transfer to a cooling rack.
If your fork starts to stick when you are making your criss-cross pattern, dip your fork in some flour before pressing your design.
Wondering what kind of peanut butter to use in your peanut butter cookies? Here’s a great article from Baking Bites that explains using natural versus regular in baking. I typically use a regular creamy peanut butter like Skippy, Jif, or Peter Pan!